3.24.2010

HOME at last...

On March 15, 2010, the world lost one of it's finest...but Heaven gained a precious jewel. My grandpa, Marvin Good, 91, went home to be with his heavenly Father around 3:40 PM.

God's timing couldn't have been more perfect. My family was given a week's notice, and my aunt and uncle were able to make it home from Cambodia with enough time to spend a couple final days with my Grandpa. On Saturday we shared a "Good Family Picnic" as a complete family for the last time. We set the table with white tablecloths and red plates and enjoyed our time together around the table and listened to my Grandpa pray, as he always did at family get-togethers.

Saturday night, his health began to decline quickly and we requested 24 hour care by a hospice nurse. On Sunday we shared a sweet worship service together...praying for this man who had prayed for us for so many years. On Monday afternoon, my aunt and uncle were sitting by grandpa's bedside and singing these words: "Oh Jesus, Thou hast promised to all who follow Thee, that where Thou art in glory, there shall thy servant be. And, Jesus, I have promised to serve Thee to the end; O give me grace to follow, my Master and my Friend." During that verse, he breathed his last breath and jumped into his Master's loving arms in Heaven.

It was a sad and difficult time, but we were so blessed to be able to be together as a family...to give Grandpa a complete send off to his new home. It is such a joy to KNOW that he is with Jesus forever now. I am so thankful for the hope that we have in Christ. 

We had a memorial service on Sunday, March 21, in honor of my grandpa and more importantly, in honor of his Master. It was such a sweet time...seeing pictures, hearing testimonies from SO many of the lives on which he made an impact. He was a true servant to friends and strangers alike, he loved and cherished his wife and his family, and he followed Christ with all that he was. And now I must carry on the legacy that he has left behind...so I am so thankful for such an incredible example to follow.

Love you, Grandpa.









No comments: